Please note, your browser is out of date.
For a good browsing experience we recommend using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.


Property Information

Energy Certificates

An Energy Certificate defines the energy efficiency of a building that is on the market, be it for sale or to let. When a motorist drives a vehicle he or she is very much aware of its consumption, how frequently does the vehicle need to be filled with gasoline and what are the costs. Equally if one buys a new fridge or washing machine, the energy label identifies the power efficiency of the apparatus. It is logical that much of one’s energy consumption takes place inside one’s home. Be it for heating, cooling, hot water production, how well is the building insulated, and what other energy efficiency measures have been built into the building. It is important to know the energy efficiency of a property.

With effect from 1 December 2013 it is a legal requirement for any property in Portugal that is being commercially advertised for sale or rent to have an Energy Performance Certificate.

In 2002 the European Union issued a decree known as the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD). This law aims to reduce the energy consumption of buildings and to reduce the carbon emissions of the European Community. Each European country has introduced its own legislation, and Portugal introduced this legislation with effect from December 2013.

The energy certificate records the energy efficiency of a property with a scoring between A+ (excellent) and G (inefficient). The energy certificate in Portugal is controlled through the ADENE the Portuguese Energy agency. ADENE is responsible for the management and operations of the Building Energy Certification System (SCE).

Every building sold or rented in Portugal from 2009 onwards requires an energy certificate, which requires a qualified engineer to visit the property and perform an assessment of the thermal efficiency of the property.

3P PORTUGAL PROPERTIES PORTFOLIO can assist in recommending a company that performs this service and has a qualified engineer to perform this inspection. Due to the limitation of the number of approved engineers, there can be a delay to perform the inspections. It is therefore important to apply for the inspection early.

What does the inspection require?

The certification involves a qualified engineer visiting the property and performing a number of pre-defined checks on the building, such as determining the quality of the construction type of walls, windows, insulation, etc. and the type of services in the property such as heating, air conditioning, solar panels, etc. The engineer will then calculate the thermal efficiency of the building, and issue the energy certificate. The energy certificates are recorded on the ADENE website, and each individual energy certificate is available online. Each energy certificate has a validity of 10 years unless major improvements are performed which is likely to improve the rating.

The engineer will be required to see the Land registration, Caderneta, the habitation license, the Technical Fisha, and the Architect and or Project Plans.